top of page

Give Thanks With A Grateful Heart

A long-time personal friend and companion of this ministry shares her testimony in her own words.

It was Wednesday, December 5, 2018, around 9 pm or a little thereafter. Although the timing is fuzzy to me, what happened next, I do remember.

My husband and I were on our way home from church, which is about a 45-minute drive. I was the one driving and had traveled about 10 miles when I started coughing profusely. I kept coughing and coughing and began to get a woozy feeling. I decided to pull over on the shoulder of the roadway and clearly heard, “DON’T PULL OVER HERE” so I kept driving. About 5 miles further down the road, I heard, “PULL OVER HERE.” The voice was audible and clear. The area was a parking lot of what used to be a grocery store. I pulled over and was really short of breath. I got out of the car and spit up mucous. I got back into the car and told my husband that I needed help, and to call 911. Due to surrounding circumstances, I had to dial 911 myself.

The 911 operator asked, “What is your emergency?” I responded that I couldn’t breathe and needed help. I could not tell her my location; however, she was able to pinpoint it. The voice that I heard earlier, had directed me to stop right around the corner from Emergency assistance. I remember two rescue workers asking me what was wrong. I stated, “I couldn’t breathe.” As they placed the oxygen mask over my face and put me into the ambulance, I called out “JESUS!” The next thing I remember was gasping and seeing the doors opening to the hospital, and I passed out.

As told to me:

Friday, December 7, 2018, I remember waking up in ICU on life support. One of my sons told me that I had to be restrained, because I was trying to release myself from the equipment. They were told that two doctors said, “We never tell a family over the phone that they need to get to the hospital quickly when a patient is critical. However, for some reason, we felt this family needed to know that they needed to get here.” I was diagnosed with problems concerning my heart. Yet, several issues that were thought to be, never manifested. There were no blockages, or any stents needed. My main issue - an overworked heart that had become weak, causing me a heart attack.

Later that same day, I was taken off of life support and put into a room. As I was waking up, I vaguely remember my family, brothers and sisters, Jerry and Frances coming, all very fuzzy. I awoke wanting something to eat. My husband, Cardell, went and purchased something that he knew I really liked. I sat up in bed and ate one of my favorite meals; a salad and tortilla soup (with the tortillas) from Chick-Fil-A. I was told that my throat should have been irritated from the life support, but it wasn’t. I kept progressing and was discharged a couple of days later. The doctor said that because of the condition I was in on Wednesday night, a few more minutes without medical care, the outcome would have been different.


I went through a traumatic life-threatening ordeal on that Wednesday night, and less than 48 hours later, God brought me through. I am wonderfully blessed, and I know it. I am currently wearing a defibrillator vest, but I believe God for a full recovery. If He did what He did for me on Wednesday, December 5th, surely, He can finish it. I am truly thankful for my family and friends for all their prayers and support.

I have always loved Hezekiah Walker’s song “Grateful.” And, I have now resolved that any and everything that I have to put a signature to, will be signed thus,

Grateful Heart,

Dr. Evelyn Wright

Andrews, SC

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
bottom of page